Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Accessory

Berkeley got his first pair of glasses this weekend; doesn't he look studious?
There are a couple of commonly asked questions I get all the time, so let me answer them here as I am sure you are dying to know.

1. How did you know to take him to the eye doctor?
Berke has always had a little problem with his right eye, it would drift toward his nose from time to time. It started happening a lot more often around 11 months, and we noticed it mainly when he would be in his high chair. We decided to ask his doctor about this at his 1 year check up and she suggested we see an optometrist just to be safe; she felt that they would probably just watch it or maybe patch his eye. It didn't happen all the time, so we were not super worried, but we did want to get it checked out.

2. Why does he need glasses?
The optometrist informed us that Berkeley is 3xs more far sided than most babies (all babies are far sided a bit) and that because of that he was having trouble focusing on things that were close up. Sometimes when he was trying to focus, he would only use one eye, his left eye to focus, therefore his right eye would float inward. She felt glasses would be the best option because if he doesn't start using his right eye to focus on things up close he could lose vision in the eye. She didn't want to patch the left eye to make the right eye stronger because that can weaken the good eye. The glasses may correct the problem and he could not need the glasses long term, but that it is unknown at this time how long he will need to wear them.

3. How do they stay on?
After two days of battling to keep the glasses on, I would like to say they don't. But.......they supposedly stay on by wrapping around his ears so they are harder to get/fall off. They told us the first couple of days would be an adjustment (that is an understatement) and then he would get used to them (I am praying this is true). Yesterday I was pretty exhausted as he did not keep them on for more than 5 minutes and that was a stretch. He was not happy about the glasses at all. Today has been a bit better; he has gone 15-20 minute stretches most the day. It is hard because we have to constantly watch him right now, so that when/if he does pull the glasses of we are there to grab them back, clean them and put them back on.

The glasses are thick and the prescription heavy, but he does seem to be able to see out of them. I think it is just hard for him to get used to the weight and pressure on his face. He will also bump into things (as any one year old does), and it remind him they are there, then curiosity kicks in. I am hoping that every day will continue to get better for him.

Something I didn't expect was how hard this transition would be for me as a parent. I was carrying Berke around the mall yesterday in the Bjorn; he had his glasses on and was doing well for a few minutes. What I didn't expect was that everyone would be staring at him, giggling at how cute he was, doing a double take to see the baby with glasses. I wanted to yell at them; don't laugh!!
He is super cute with the glasses I will admit, but it is hard to have people stare at him. Just something I am going to have to get used to I guess.

Should I be concerned that he is still reading his books upside down?
Gotta love this adorable kid!

11 comments:

Kate said...

Didn't get a chance to talk to you at church, but he looks super cute. I always love kids in glasses. But I totally understand that it is hard for you guys. I'm sure it will get better. Oh, and Soren has those PJ's he's wearing in the last picture.

eunice said...

That's totally rough to have people stare. Wonderful that he's able to see though. Berke is so blessed to have parents as conscientious and loving as you guys.

Bonnie said...

So apparently I'm one of those people that asked all the annoying questions :) Thanks for answering them patiently though. He does look super cute with those glasses. I'm sorry it's a tough transition for you guys.

Heather said...

Ah, I love a little man in glasses! Carson (my little guy) got glasses when he was 9 months and he still gets a lot of attention because of his cute bespectacled face! Looks like Berkley is keeping them on well...LUCKY! It took blood, sweat and tears to get Carson used to them. He's 3 1/2 now and won't go without them! You guys look great....hope all is well.
The Alaska Waites (Dave and Heather from the Village days...remember us??)

jani said...

Do you remember Dallin having glasses at the same age? Well he did, and it was super hard... but rather than an optometrist, out pediatrician recommended a pediatric OPTHALMOLOGIST- they are MD eye doctors and have way more training than an optometrist.... it kinda sounds like Berkeley has the same thing Dallin had going on... and glasses did NOTHING for him... surgery did- instantly. not that I was super eager to do surgery, but if I were in the same situation again, I would... the results so totally speak for themselves... fixing the weak muscles that supported the eye allowed him to improve his vision on his own... btw, optometrists can't do surgery... just prescribe glasses. Just my $.02- I always like to know all the options!

Unknown said...

He is so adorable. That last picture of him reading is to die for. I think he just wants to be cool like him mom and pops--since you guys were recently sporting the 3D glasses.

Christine said...

He looks cute with and without, what a lucky kid :) I look terrible in my glasses!
I wonder if his eyes have anything to do with why he was banging his head? Maybe he was getting little headaches? Hope he's adjusted soon, he is such a sweet little guy.

Kim said...

what a cute little guy!! the one where he is reading the book is my favorite!! love you guys!

Marie said...

The pic of him reading the book with his new glasses could possibly be one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen! :D

Dani said...

The picture of Berke reading the book is definitely one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen of him. It rivals a picture of 2mo old Lily "reading" Michael's book about Einstein (can you tell her dad is a scientist? he totally set that one up and it's hilarious)
Michael's sister had glasses like that when she was younger, super thick ones, and doesn't need them at all today. I'm glad to hear he's leaving them on longer these days.

Eric Lindsay said...

Bwaaaaaa! The picture of Berk reading with the glasses is the cutest thing ever. It's like he's going over an expense report, or something! Lurv it.