Saturday, September 8, 2012

Home, Home on the Range

I've been wanting to make home improvements for awhile now, but not knowing if we were moving or not, I really didn't want to take the effort.  Well, we are not moving, not for another year anyhow, so I decided the house needed a little makeover.  Nothing major, just something different.  Do you get bored with things in your house? 

Lets be honest, I do NOT have the gift for decorating.  I am in awe and often jealous of how good at this many of my friends are (Kate, Gloria, Bonnie, Aubrey).  I just don't have the gift.  I feel like I try hard and I do okay; I mean, I don't think my house looks bad and it is cute enough, but I really have to try to feel happy with the outcome.

When we bought our couches last year they came with these terrible brown pillows and I hate them.  I have a three year old however that LOVES them.  Not the design per say, but he loves fluffy soft things that he can roll around in.  These pillow are on the top 5 most played with items in the house.

 We've been looking for pillows to replace these brown beauties, but lets face it, pillows are EXPENSIVE!  The Pier One by our house is closing (I'm so sad), so we took the opportunity to find some pillows we liked at 30% off.  We wanted something bright, since the walls and the couches are so dark and this is what we came up with. 
 Any suggestions?  Do we like or not like? 
 I'm still not sure about it, but I do love the middle pillow a lot.  I'm all about things matching perfectly and would have preferred two pillows the same color, but Christian wanted to do this option.  
While at the Cape  this summer we came across this rug which I love, I thought it would be perfect for the bathroom.  I'm surprised at what a big difference a small change can make it a room.
 We also bought a new duvet cover for our bed and I'm quite pleased with it.  I love having a duvet, because it is so much cheaper to buy new covers than entirely new comforters.  It feels grown up and I think that is a good fit for us now that we are all done with school.

Overstock.com has a huge variety to chose from for a very reasonable price, why have I never shopped there before?

We also bought a new garbage can (didn't think you would want a picture), one that you step on it an it flips open!  SOOOO happy about this purchase.  For five years we have had one that I have hated!!!  It was always dirty and just a disaster; I finally had a breaking point this week and decided $50 for a garbage can was worth my happiness because cleanliness is next to Godliness after all.  

We've also picked up a few pieces of cheap art at local art festivals around town this summer. I love getting new art for the walls, it really perks things up.  I'm still figuring out how to hang things well (it really is an art), but so far so good.  

I feel that with these few changes things look much better and I am quite happy with the results. Ideally more space would be the perfect solution, but that isn't an option at this point, so we'll settle for a few changes to make things feel new.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

I quite like the pillows! Have you ever gotten on Pinterest? I find a lot of inspiration there and most of it is easy, cheap, do it yourself but has instructions for the not so creative types :)

MarenG said...

I love the middle pillow as well! Good choice. Your duvet is nice too. I like them for the same reason (especially when you have a cat that thinks your bed is his). Easy to replace!

Jill T said...

I like your pillows AND I love the picture hanging above your couch...I don't know...I think you have the gift my dear!