I made an unexpected trip to Utah with Ms. Viv this summer. Sadly, my grandma Lucile passed away suddenly and I flew out to be with my family and attend her funeral. Grandma was sick, she had been intubated just weeks prior, but she fought it and was able to come home and was living with my brother Steven the last few weeks of her life. I spoke to her on Sunday, she talked about her anxiety and how she was scared to be alone and she knew she was driving everyone crazy. I was able to give her some suggestions and validate her feelings and let her know how much I loved her. The next morning I got a call at work that she had died.
I hate when you tell people your grandma died and they say, "Well, was she sick?" I mean yes, she was, but MY GRANDMA DIED!! Doesn't really matter to me or not if she was sick, it still doesn't make it any easier. It really sucks folks! I was super close with my grandma, I was at her house ALL the time as a child. I looked forward to talking to my grandma and seeing her when I visited Utah. I am sad, like REALLY sad. I appreciate those who personally reached out to me, man, who knew a card in the mail, or brining you flowers or showing up to your grandma's viewing just to support you would mean! Christian was sweet and brought me flowers and was supportive of me going out to Utah. We couldn't all go, because short notice flight over 4th of July and just bought a house don't exactly go well together.
My Grandma Taft gave me some money for my ticket, the ticket to come to my other grandma's funeral! She is seriously the greatest and I love her SO much!
It was a sad visit, but I brought Viv along with me and she truly was a fabulous distraction. Everyone LOVED her and her spunky fun personality. She had lots of fun seeing all her cousins and grandparents and getting uber spoiled.
My oh my, look at this, five generations! Vivi was basically terrified of her Great Great Grandma Utella, but we snapped this photo while we were all together.
Viv got to meet her cousin Oakley for the first time. They are one year and one day apart. I loved getting to know Oakley more and really miss my nieces and nephews so much.
Dad did some 4th of July grillin'!
Here are my grandma's 5 daughters!
Linda, Mom (Karen), Cinny, Mary and Vicki
Paul Barrers. My good looking brother Stevie in the front in the red.
The Great grandchildren sent balloons to heaven.
It was a nice service. It seems surreal that she is gone. Honestly, it's just strange. You cannot ever get a person back. You have to take each moment and make the most of it.
My mom was really close with her mom. It is hard for her. She gave a beautiful tribute to her mom and took wonderful care of her since before my grandpa died.
I was named after my grandma, her name is Lucile and I am Laci Lucille. Grandma was fun, funny, smart, loved good movies, to read, to take baths, to be with her family, to give gifts, to travel, to gamble, to eat hot dogs with mustard, to hold babies, to tell stories about her ancestors, and to talk on the phone. She was pretty great.
I love you grandma more than you will know. Thank you for being part of my life and for changing me for good! I love you!






No comments:
Post a Comment